Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Unquenchable Worshipper

There is a kind of worshipper who 'always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres' (I Cor. 13:7), and who gets through the storms of life with a heart still blazing. Sometimes it comes down to a simple choice. We may be hard-pressed on every side, weary and not able to sense God. But then a choice faces us-to fix our eyes on the circumstances or to cling to God and choose to worship Him, even when it hurts. The heart of God loves the offerings of a persevering worshipper. Though overwhelmed by many troubles, they are even more overwhelmed by the beauty of God.
-Matt Redman
"The Unquenchable Worshipper: Coming Back to the Heart of Worship"

4 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful hope to cling to! a beautiful thing for your heart to be reflecting. (made me think of Ps. 94:19)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Choosing to worship even when it hurts" will probably always remind me of the Christmas Eve after our granddaughter died. Our grief was still very raw, but my son, his wife, my husband and I lit the Christ candle at the Christmas Eve service and testified to God's goodness even in our pain.

    What about you, David, Julie and Mariel? When did you worship through pain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Kathy, probably the worst time was when my brother Jeff killed himself on Mother's Day. I was getting ready for church, and dad called and told me. It was a pretty ugly scene, I'm glad I was alone except for my great Comforter. I did go to church, broken, barely breathing myself, and I had to choose to praise God. I felt like if I didn't, there was no reason to live myself. I wish I had something smart alecky to say to close this, but I just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,
    Most recently? It was all the way back to last night. haha. Sitting in the sanctuary, playing the piano, praying, and crying out to God. It wasn't pain from a specific event or anything like ya'll have mentioned, but it was a very real moment, choosing to praise God through different "storms" on my mind and heart right now.

    Thank you both for regularly responding and interacting on this blog. Let's get some more folks on here! Thank you also for sharing and being transparent in personal things that you have experienced. May it spur us on to encourage and pray for one another daily. :-)

    ReplyDelete