Saturday, November 07, 2009

An excerpt from "seek and find" written by Ed Chinn

"In January of 2008, I attended a retreat of worship leaders. One morning, because of the host hotel’s problems with their Internet provider, I struggled relentlessly – yes, even heroically – for an hour to get connected.
Suddenly I had an overwhelming sense of God in the room and this simple question: "Would you struggle this long to find connection with Me?"
It was time for a painful admission: “No.”
Of course, I had my quiet and safe “devotional time.” But, I wouldn’t struggle for an hour to find connection with the living God.
For almost two years now, the Lord has been de-programming my codes and wiring. He has been reducing my “stuff,” my abilities, my visibility, and my pride and self-reliance. As he has peeled it away, the connection with Him has become clearer.
During the same period, many of my friends have lost much more – “things” like careers, homes, health, savings, and reputations. And, even their families. Some have entered that state which A. W. Tozer called, “The blessedness of possessing nothing.”
Could those losses be, in fact, blessings from a kind and generous God? Is He pulling us past ourselves and our stuff so that we can find Him again?"
-Ed Chinn

2 comments:

  1. I really relate to what he said about God "de-programming" him. God has knocked a lot of pride out of me over the last few months, too. And every time I think surely we have covered everything, he shows me something else. "How long, O Lord, how long?" But I must admit, when there's less of me, there's more room for God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. convicting, and truly thought provoking. I think we'll have a family discussion on this one.

    ReplyDelete