Sunday, November 15, 2009

River of Worship

There was something very powerful about seeing the people of God on their knees in worship this morning. There was something very powerful about BEING on my knees in worship this morning. This prostrate position (to cast (oneself) face down on the ground in humility, submission, or adoration.) helps me to connect physically with where my heart and mind are (hopefully) already.

Being bowed low is also a position of vulnerability. For many people, vulnerability is not a fun place to be, and probably for good reason. If you have been hurt or taken advantage of in other vulnerable circumstances, then you are likely to be one of these people.  Do we trust God enough to be vulnerable in worship before Him? Do we let Him break down the walls that we have built up to protect ourselves?

In his book "Following the River: A Vision for Corporate Worship", Bob Sorge says this: "Again we see many fish drawn to these waters, and we see a constant release of healing powers released through this river. Somebody might ask, 'But if we really get into the depths of the river of God in our corporate worship services, won't we scare away the very fish we're trying to catch?' The way Ezekiel saw it unfolding, the fish were attracted to the healing and life that flowed from this river. If you really get into the flow of God's river in corporate worship, you might scare some of the beasts away; but the true fish whom the Master is drawing will find the river the very thing for which they have been yearning."

It makes me angry, and I think/hope righteously so, when church leaders get caught up in trying new methods, just for the sake of being "attractive". The message gets lost in our obsession with being relevant to our culture. Because of this, many churches look like cheesy coffee houses at best. What scripture have I overlooked where Jesus himself lost his allure? What has changed so that we need to more or less bribe people to come to church with the offers of gifts? When did church even become geared for those who are not in Christ?
Don't get me wrong. I sincerely hope that if/when people who don't know Christ are among us that they have a radical, life-changing encounter with God.
The problem comes when we alter our worship to make those people comfortable, when in reality, what they need to bear witness to is, unquenchable, undone, undignified, unending, undivided worship of true Christ followers, who sincerely love, encourage, rebuke, pray and study together, with great delight, to the glory of God.
There are a lot of other places where people can go to get involved in programs. There are coffee houses where people can go to be entertained. What was Paul's warning to Timothy?  "I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." 2 Timothy 4:1-5

In the way that we conduct "church", are we cultivating the things that Paul warned against? Or are we offering something so radical that people see the value of being a sold out Jesus nut like John the Baptist?

My point is this: as a minister of worship, my goal is to worship in such a way, and lead others in such a way, that those in our midst without Christ might be drawn and attracted to HIM. If the Holy Spirit is not the one drawing them in, then all that we do will be foolishness and folly to them anyway. SO WHY DO WE GO SO FAR OUT OF OUR WAY TO TRY TO "ATTRACT" THEM???? Does anyone else see faulty logic here?

God has given me a love and a passion for worship, both personal and corporate. The trends that I see happening break my heart.

I could take or leave the river analogy from Bob Sorge's book. What I cannot leave is the fact that we need to stop worrying about what people from the outside think, and start worrying about what God thinks of the things happening in our houses of worship. Genuine, Christ-exalting worship should be the means by which we connect ourselves to God. When we are truly and rightly connected to God, it's funny to see how everything else falls into place.

I'm not sure I've completed this thought, but I'm ending for now. As always, love to hear thoughts from others on these issues.


May God grant us worship that is richly balanced in spirit and in truth.

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts...full of truth...those kinda thoughts are my favorite these days! Great Blog. Looking forward to what come next from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have lots of thoughts on this subject, but the thing I'm hearing the loudest in my head (Yes, I hear voices!) is what John Piper says about the so-called "prosperity gospel." I'm sure you've heard it on You Tube. I highly recommend it to everybody!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to thank you for taking us out of our comfort zone. And I do believe that was out of the comfort zone to many. However, we need that. We tend to get complacent in our worship, not on purpose, but it happens. I agree that if the Holy Spirit is leading and we are willing to follow, we will find what we are longing for. It just takes leaders who are not afraid to take us there.

    ReplyDelete