Monday, November 09, 2009

Ezra: God causes "pagan kings to accomplish his redemptive purposes"

The book of Ezra is one of those books I have never really paid attention to. (Yes, I know, it speaks volumes of my poor study habits.) Well, thanks to one of those "read through the Bible in a year" calendar things, I have been reading Ezra as of late and really enjoying it. Now, when I say enjoying it, in this case, I don't mean like "popcorn and a movie" enjoying it, I mean more of a "ouch, thank you Lord for rebuking me through the Word" type of enjoying. Consequently, both are wonderful things, but drastically different experientially.

"This book...shows God's power in covenant faithfulness, moving even pagan kings to accomplish his redemptive purposes" (from the ESV book of Ezra header)

Throughout the Bible, it is fascinating to see how God orchestrated certain events for Israel, his chosen people. In Genesis 37-46, we have the example of Joseph and his brothers. They plotted to kill him because of jealousy but instead sold him into slavery. However, what they intended for evil, God intended for good. Years later God used Joseph to feed his brothers and many others in a time of famine. In Exodus, we see so many demonstrations of God's power, including the hardening of pharaoh's heart. God allowed Pharaoh to rise to power SO THAT at the appointed time, God's power could be demonstrated both to the Israelites and to the Egyptians. With each plague, the protective hand of God was over his covenant people and they were left unscathed by anything that God caused to happen in Egypt. There are so many other awesome stories of God's faithfulness to his covenant people...and how incredible that God would use pagan kings and rulers to orchestrate his ongoing act of redemption for his people throughout history.

Enter Ezra: As I understand (could be wrong) Ezra was leading those who had been in exile in Babylon back to Jerusalem, where they would begin rebuilding the temple. Again we see where God uses Cyrus, king of Persia, and later, King Darius, to fulfill past prophecy. There is no reason to believe either of these kings are particularly spiritual. In fact if anything, quite the opposite.

I often hear people talking about how these "evil" things are not of God. While they certainly do not pertain to the specifics of God's character, scripture is clear that God has used them to move people and change circumstances. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be so quick to give satan credit. After all, satan is a created being, he is not omni-present like God. He cannot be and is not everywhere at one time, trying to make you sin or stumble, or whatever else it is that people like to blame on him...

What if the evil in this world is orchestrated by God, for the continuing redemptive work of those whom he has called?

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Ok, in my Christian life, I have had very few teachings on the "personhood" of Satan. It is my understanding that he is the great accuser faulting us before the Lord which of course Jesus is defending and asserting on our behalf before the throne.
    If that is the case, and Satan is not able to be in more places than one at a time, does that mean that when we are tempted he has nothing to do with that? Does that mean that I am so engraned in my sin nature that I do not need to be tempted by the enemy of my soul, it's just a natural response? Man, that's a bummer if that's true!! Also, if I am being tempted by the enemy, does that mean that no one else in the world is being tempted since Satan cannot be in two places at once?
    I'm certainly not arguing your point, we definitely do not want to give Satan more credit than is his due, and I absolutely agree that God is in control of all things, including what Satan himself does and is allowed to do. I just don't know, I guess, when it's just me, and truly I must be the epitome of evil at times, (a lot of times, I feel like Paul sometimes that I am the greatest sinner of all....not pridefully) and when I am actually under attack from the enemy.
    As far as the world, yes, I can see God definitely using the evil (but not causing it) to continue the redemptive work of His people.
    Hope this makes sense.....blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Buffy the Vampire" author Ann Rice became a Christian recently after realizing that while Satan had tried throughout history to exterminate the Jews (Hitler being the latest example), God had always been faithful to preserve a remnant.

    Julie, the book of James says we're tempted by our own lusts, but many scriptures also talk about demonic minions who do Satan's bidding. I've experienced both, but usually don't realize when I'm under spiritual attack until I get free from it and I feel more like myself again. I need to learn more discernment.

    ReplyDelete